Friday, July 22, 2011

Getting Balen here...

I was due on June 8th. 8 days later still no baby and I SNAPED! Called my doctor Thursday morning (June 16th) and told him I could not be pregnant any longer!! He had me come in for my last OB appointment and said he would induce me in the morning (Friday, June 17th) After my appointment my doctor sent me over to the hospital for my 3rd stress test of the week. Turns out I was in labor and had no idea! They admitted me around noon on the 16th. Hooked me up to pitosin right away to speed things up and make my contractions stronger because I couldn’t feel a thing.

My labor was a walk in the park! I was never in serious pain, but decided to get an epidural when I was dilated to a 5 because I knew I would want it later. Around 11 o’clock that night I was fully dilated and ready to have our baby! If only it were that easy…

As soon as I started pushing my epidural wore off. I could feel EVERYTHING and it was the most painful experience of my life. I was determined to get our baby out though! I pushed for over 3 hours and his head was almost all the way out. My last 3 contractions instead of coming out he decided to go back up the birth canal and turn. After 18 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing I was rushed in for an emergency c-section.

I don’t remember much of the c-section. I was so exhausted by this point I slept through most of it. I remember them giving me a spinal and feeling so relieved that I could no longer feel anything. I remember them shoving the baby back up the birth canal. I remember his first cry. I remember Jeff showing him to me and telling me he had black hair. And I remember throwing up all over myself. Really Special! An hour and a half later I was out of surgery. They wheeled me to my room where Jeff and our baby boy were waiting for me.

We spent the next 4 days in the hospital. I thought I was going to die the first few days, but things slowly got better. I had to learn how to eat, get out of bed, walk, pee, shower, you name it all over again!

Balen Daniel Cary was born at 4 o’clock in the morning on June 17th. He weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces and was 20 inches long. Balen is named after Jeff’s Dad Daniel that passed away from cancer when Jeff was 8 years old. Balen’s middle name fits him perfectly because he looks just like Jeff’s Dad did when he was a baby.

Even though getting Balen here was a NIGHTMARE we wouldn’t trade him for anything in the world. He is a healthy baby boy and that is all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment